Saturday, October 9, 2010

Technological revivals

I love technology, especially when it works. It's less ideal when it doesn't work, but for the most part I know how to fix it. It's called waiting.

My freshman year of college my hard drive failed. I took it all apart and tried to fix it several times. I gave it to a computer science major. He helped me run it through Lenox for a while. I couldn't get to any of my files though. Then, randomly, about a month later my hard drive worked again. No one could explain it to me, but I was thankful!

Last spring I was using my head phones in the library when the right side started crackling and then died altogether. I was so disappointed because those head phones got heavy usage, especially around finals week. The next day, the right side was working just fine. I didn't understand.

In May, the day that I put new strings on my guitar, my tuner died. I thought the batteries were dead, so I switched them. Those didn't work either. Even though they came straight out of a new pack of batteries I figured they must be dead too. But the next set didn't work either. About two weeks ago my tuner was up and running again with the original batteries still in them. My tuner hasn't failed me since.

In February or March the timer and mine counter on my Minesweeper game shifted to the right so that I could no longer see the ones place. If it said I had 4 mines left that meant I had somewhere between 40 and 49 mines left. If it claimed I'd been playing the puzzle for 11 seconds that meant I'd be at it for over 110. Tonight though, both the timer and counter are fully readable. I can actually know how long I've been going and how many mines I have left! It's wonderful.

The moral of the story: Don't give up on broken technology. Maybe it's just sleeping and will work later.

1 comment:

  1. i still remember the headphone miracle.
    and i'm waiting on your computer clock now. :)

    ReplyDelete