Friday, February 29, 2008

The Sea of Galilee among other things

It's a good thing they don't put a limit on fun on this cross-cultural! I've had a pretty fantastic last 5 days! Just to get it out of the way, here is where I've been: Caerasea, Mt Carmel, Megiddo, Ein Gev, Hazor, Dan, Caesarea Phillipi, Golan Heights, Hippos, Kursi, Gamla, Capernaum, Mt of Beatitudes, Cliffs of Arbel, Nazareth, Mt Gilboa, Bet Shean, Old Testament Jericho, New Testament Jericho, and Gethsemane. Woah! It seems like a whole lot of traveling, but actually all this places are pretty close together. Most of those sites we hit on our 4 day trip up to the region of the Sea of Galilee.

I have no idea what of that to explain. I have over 50 pages written from those sites, but there's no way I'm typing it all. I'll pick a top 3 and if you want to here about another place just say so in a comment. No guarantees, but I do have some more free time these next few day that I could write more.

#3 Cliffs of Arbel. These are on the west side of the Sea of Galilee and are sheer cliffs with caves in the middle. I don't have numbers on the height, but when Herod tried to capture that area his soldiers could neither climb down of the caves nor climb up to them. So the soldiers were let down in baskets over the side and killed anyone who didn't surrender. Some that didn't surrender chose suicide instead. That seems to be a sad theme for a lot of the battles at these sites.

The bus dropped us off at the top of the cliffs and we all climbed down. For a little while there are just stairs, but then there's a place where stairs are even impossible. In that section they have a bunch of climbing staples and cables on the side of the cliff face. It was a tad bit dangerous to be sure, but no one died. 3 of us challenged ourselves to do it without hands. Turns out that's possible!

Unfortunately, the caves were receiving some sort of repair work so we couldn't climb the stairs to the large caves where the resistors lived. Instead we could climb up to the smaller, but still impressively large caves. Caves and cliffs are a good combination!

#2 Dan. By defaut I think I have to like this place, but even without the name I would still like it. Most of the ancient sites we visited had one main problem: water. Apparently water is important to survival or something like that. So people went through huge amounts of effort to secure a lasting water source for every city. Dan did not have that problem. Dan Spring is the largest spring in the Middle East and the largest supplier of the Sea of Galilee! We've seen all sorts of trickles or puddles or creeks called springs, but this was a full blown river! The sound was amazing as we walked along it. Running water is not a familiar sound here. The river also allows for all sorts of animal and plant life that we had never seen before. It seemed life a rainforest by comparison. We found a turtle and some lizards and some gorgeous flowers! It was a great little hike!

There were 2 significant buildings at Dan that our guide pointed out. The first was an arched gateway from long before Rome or Greece had any influence on the region. So the thought that Europeans invented the arch apparently isn't true. The second building was the temple built by Jeroboam in 1 Kings 12. It's an impressive ruin but not one of good news for the ancient Israelites. That was the beginning of the end for the Northern kingdom.

#1 Hippos. A lot of people thought we were crazy and it was entirely conceivable that we were, but I wouldn't take it back for the world! At 4:30am after a full day of travel and before another one, 7 of us got up to climb the decapolis city of Hippos. Our goal was to make it to the top of this mountain from our resort on the Sea by sunrise. We had to hustle if we wanted to make it! Some of you know that my Dad's side of the family is notorious for walking really fast. Well, I was with 6 other people that must be able to claim even quicker ancestry! I struggled to keep up! We all made it up in time though!

The city was beautiful! I suppose anything will be beautiful after a blistering 90 minute climb at 4:30 in the morning. The ruined city was all made out of dark basalt rock and the central road stretched much longer than any other Roman road I had seen! There were columns every where and I can only hope that the rock came from the top of the mountain and not the bottom. We walked through a seemingly random tunnel and rested as the sun poked above the mountains. Then we climbed all the way back down to start the real day. Yeah, that was excellent! I've certainly skipped a lot of details.

Alright, it's late. I have an exam tomorrow and then the JUC portion of this cross-cultural will be finished! Next on the schedule is free travel and I'll be heading over to Istanbul! The plane leaves on Sunday, so I get one more full day in Jerusalem before I leave.

By the way, I'm listening to the soundtrack to Spirit as I type all this. Thanks, bro! All sorts of random songs have been in my head, usually involving a random phrase from a scripture passage we read. Or from a VeggieTales movie, that happens a lot too. I finished "Three" last week some time and now I'm reading "Shadow of the Hegemon," part of the "Ender's Game" collection. That's all for now.

8 comments:

  1. What a fun blog to read -- "pretty fantastic last 5 days!" Caves on a cliff face by a sea sound like a bit of heaven to the boy still in me too! And I welcomed reading about the early morning hike in between 2 full days of travel on 2 levels: not only was it a great experience for you but it also showed you're obviously healthy and full of energy -- which is nice for a parent to see. I'd heard a lot about Dan in the Bible ("Dan to Beersheba" -- where's that, by the way?) but never caught that it's natural feature that made it so desirable was the "largest spring in the Middle East."

    I'm excited that you're going to Istanbul on your independent travel week -- amazing building and rich history and the water and the crossing of cultures. How many of your group are traveling there? Not as much singing the next week, maybe. Though it only takes a couple of you EMUers to make a strong song. Actually, with you, even by yourself you got songs going!

    Shane and I just moved his futon from his Dad's house, so he's now fully moved in. He rode his bike to be at work at 5:30 this morning in sub-zero temperature. What a guy!

    It's all white outside with a fresh couple inches of snow. And I love my son! After about the 10th time of checking WAAG! today, I was rewarded amply!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel, from your Ohio relatives. We've been reading your blogs and are amazed at all the places you've been visiting. What a great experience and learning time for you and the other EMUers. Thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hung out with a bunch of your old library buddies this afternoon--six librarians from EMU came to our office to check out our software and catch up on the latest library gossip. Bonnie says EMU's library has gotten new couches... she said 'if he wants to spend the night again, he'd be a lot more comfortable. I think there's even a couch he could watch the sunrise from!'
    They all said hello and they hope you're having wonderful adventures. I said 'oh, he is!' and also, I said 'and I miss him!!'
    I do miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing I did when I got internet access in Sarasota was check your blog, but I got kicked out (because it was indeed illegal) before I could comment. Now I'm in Clearwater and I have a legal connection.
    This is the first week that I am not quite as jealous of all your stories, but I still wish I could go to Turkey. I also wish I could have seen those cliffs. They sound amazing. All is well with me. I miss you bro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. climbing the cliffs with no hands=fun! Glad to hear that you are having a great time. Continue to keep us updated, and I pray that many more amazing memories are to be made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my word I didn't know that were people who walked quicker than the Millers! Glad to know that you have some speedy friends!
    Thanks for the blog--I sure do enjoy reading them! Have a blast in Istanbul!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daniel,

    What a joy to "keep up with you" in this way, especially when we long to hear your voice as an antidote to the news we are receiving from your part of the world.

    Here in Corning we woke up to something out of Narnia when it was always winter (but with the knowledge that we still get the gift of Christmas). Earlier in the week we had an ice storm (or two . . .) and the clear glass coating of ice has remained on every branch of every tree and shrub. We awoke this morning to what I think must be frost that has etched a milky color onto that coating of ice, outlining the tiniest branches, making the arbor vitae look like lace and the standing hulls of golden rod by the side of the road appear like Steuben art glass etchings.

    Let me tell you that it's hard to concentrate on defensive driving when the roadways are a wonderland!

    Anyway, that is where we are. We look forward to hearing more about where you are (and have been!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that's so fun! ( i'm late but better late than never!) I went on that exact same JUC trip and remember the climb to mt hippos (we had a few hiccups beause the leader forgot the shortcut, we didnt want to get into the minefields and it was overcast so we had to book it and then miss out on a full sunrise but still, totally worth it) Arbell is one of my favorite places in Israel, that and this national park which i'm blanking on but it has natural springs and you can go cliff diving (if i remember i'll tell you because if you have the chance any weekend you MUST go, you'll love it). It's so fun hearing you enjoy these places!!!

    ReplyDelete